Friday 15 February 2008

Twinkling backgrounds


Here's a card I made when I was playing around with my Twinklings when my aunt was visiting. I love my twinklings and wanted to try using them for more than colouring in images. For this card I took a piece of watercolour paper and a selection of blue, green, and blue-green paints and just painted on the various colours. I like the sort of watered silk look it resulted in.


Once I had the piece done, it was so pretty it was actually a bit hard to do something with it because I didn't want to use it. But, now that I'm over that, I like the way the card turned out. I decided to use a stamp I got a while ago but hadn't inked yet. It's a cute little butterfly from Old Island Stamps. I stamped the butterfly in Versafine ink (majestic blue). I really, really love Versafine ink. You will never see a crisper image. I wish it came in more colours! I digress.... After stamping the butterflies, I coloured them with a light purple Tombow marker and added some stickles for highlights. The card needed a sentiment but I didn't want to clutter the card too much - then I remembered my retired metal tags that I have had for a while and thought they would combine well with my new Sale-A-Bration rub-ons. And lo! they did! I'm quite pleased with how they came out. And it's a nice way to update some older embellishments. (I have another card in the works that uses another metal tag+rub-on combination!)


To finish the card I mounted the watercolour piece on some brilliant blue, and put the whole thing on a taken with teal card, which was stamped with the butterfly using versamark. A few little blue droplets and this card was finished. I really like the twinkling background and will be trying more of that in the future. It's nice to find multiple ways to use my various tools, and my twinklings are definitely one of my favourite stamping supplies.


Thanks for looking!


Supplies: Stamps: Old Island Stamp Company; Ink: Majestic Blue Versafine, versamark; Paper: watercolour, brilliant blue, taken with teal; Accessories: Stampin' Up metal tags, silver eyelets, white sheer ribbon, silver cord, Love and Happines rub-ons - SU, stickles, blue pebbles

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE this card Karen! The background is so pretty! I'd love to see it in "real life" to get a better idea of what "Twinklings" are. Do they shimmer? Sparkle? BEAUTIFUL! ~Connie~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty card- I just love the Twinkling background- I love the soft colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the finished product! Having seen the starting point, I was especially impressed with what you did next. I am inspired!! AP :-)

    ReplyDelete