Monday 4 February 2008

Baby Girl Zeppelin Card





My friend from work asked me to make a card for a baby girl. She wanted it to have a zeppelin carrying a bassinet instead of a cabin and a baby peeking out of the bassinet. Well, I didn't have a bassinet stamp, but I thought this little pram would be a reasonable substitute.
I started off with a window frame that I found in my stash. It had a lovely soft, weathered look, with a small window. I thought it would be cute to see only the carriage through the window, and then when you open the card, see the zeppelin. The small window also allows the sender to write a message inside.
I didn't have a zeppelin stamp, so I made the zeppelin using my word processing software, adding the baby's name, and printing it on patterned paper. I also cut some tail fins to match. I painted the carriage using twinkling h20's to coordinate with the front cover. The zeppelin is flying on a cloud background that I sponged using a homemade cloud stencil, following the great tutorial on Julie Buhler's blog. I drew in lines from the zeppelin to the carriage with my sakura glitter pen so they're visible, but not really obvious. A spiral clip and some ribbon for embellishment and that was that! (This little write-up has left out all the false starts and wrong turns this particular card took! All those twists and turns are part of what's fun about stamping.)
Thanks for looking!
Supplies: Stamp: Katie & Co; Paper: Soft Sky, Whisper White, patterned paper Making Memories, watercolour paper; ink: palette black noir; accessories: pewter spiral clip, cool caribbean rick rack, soft sky stitched ribbon (all Stampin' Up!), twinkling h20's, aquapainter, sakura glitter pen

3 comments:

  1. Oh how sweet! Love that creative zeppelin! The outside piecing of your card is gorgeous too!

    And yes...I did get to the stamp store. :) Bought some new ink, markers and paint. I can't believe it...I managed to be very good and get out of there without and rubber! {shock}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the finished product is great -- you were working on that design when you were here at Christmas! Is that an actual frame? or paper that looks like one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm afraid the only credit I can take for the frame is the good sense to buy it. It's made of paper, by Wild Asparagus (I think). I just loved the weathered wood look of it as well as the soft colours. I thought it would eventually come in handy for something!

    ReplyDelete