Wednesday, 21 April 2010

Hero Arts Poppy

I was recently experimenting with the Ecoline inks I got for my birthday. I'd read about them on Stamping Mathilda, a very inspirational blog. I won't go into detail here, since Godlieve does a much better job. I followed her instructions for making a background, and used a red that I have. (Ecoline inks are available in Canada from Quietfire Designs in British Columbia.) I brushed the paper with water (I tried it with Bella's Bestest paper and SU Whisper White, with similar results). When the paper was wet, I dabbed on colour with a wide brush and sort of pushed it around. Not very high tech. In fact, the whole operation was conducted in the furnace room using the deep freeze as a desk. These ink bottles didn't seem like something I should be tinkering with on my light coloured carpet under my stamping desk, being somewhat prone to sudden surges of gravity... When the paper is all inky, set aside to dry, and when dry, iron it flat. I did a half sheet per colour experiment and got two of these gorgeous poppy images (Hero Arts) out of the one sheet, plus some scraps. I decided to go for two different looks. This one is backed on black, then SU Haiku paper (yay clearance rack!) and Kiwi Kiss. The sentiment is A Muse and is punched out with an SU punch. A tab of Kiwi ribbon and some dew drops seemed to balance things out quite nicely. I also accented the centres with nearly-black marker and black stickles. I enhanced some of the petals with pencil crayon, but didn't blend it (just used the pencils to blend each other - Bruynzeels blend easily that way). It's a 5 1/4" square card.

For my second effort, I decided to chop up the image and layered each panel on a bit of black. The next layer down is Real Red, on a black card base. The accent is a black flower (new Tim Holtz die, run through script embossing folder and dabbed with Versamark Dazzle), with a button (PTI) layer, topped with a stamped "hello" (Hero Arts). I forget where I got the ribbon, but it seemed to be my only black ribbon. I was hoping I would find a nice black and white polka dot in my stash, but no luck. I am forcing myself to leave ribbon on cards now and I am getting quite used to it. This one has ribbon and a button and a die cut. Aren't I just the little stylish stamper! (Not literally - I am actually in pyjamas, ratty velour jacket and sheepskin slippers because the basement is freezing!!! This time of year the furnace cuts out and the basement is quite nippy even though it's warm upstairs. We're grateful in the heat of summer, but right now the laws of thermodynamics do the basement no favours...)
I am quite tickled with this technique. It's quite easy to do - the hardest part is being patient while the paper dries. If you're having a hard time waiting, I suggest you while away some time browsing through Godlieve's blog - she has some lovely projects there!

1 comment:

  1. Wowser! These cards are stunning. I need to (NOT) check out this product! LOL Gorgeous job.