Saturday 2 January 2010

Third tag of Christmas


For this tag, inspired by this one, I created a plaid background using alcohol inks and glossy paper. It looks better in real life. It's hard to capture the depth of colour and shimmer with a camera. The background is shades of red and green and yellow, picked up on the mini tag for the sentiment. I stamped poinsettias (Penny Black) in archival and coloured them with distress stickles (Fired Brick, Scattered Straw). The holly sprig (Sunshine Designs) was stamped in distress ink (Aged Mahogany) and sprinkled with perfect pearls (I forget the colour, I think it was a red or purple) and misted to seal. This causes a bit of ink to bleed out for a neat effect.
The sentiment mini tag isn't as garish in real life, but I did sponge on some Mustard Seed to give it some oomph. It's "attached" with a idea-ology diaper pin to some jute. The ribbon on the tag is from the Recess collection by BasicGrey, with some jute. I also added an SU jumbo eyelet, perfect for the tag. I covered the whole tag with the glossy paper, instead of mounting it with other tag showing. These small tags just don't have the same amount of design space as the #8s. However, these are small enough to fit on a half-sheet card (4 1/4 x 5 1/2 front), in the unlikely event I can bring myself to give them away.
I loved doing this plaid and will definitely be doing it again. Tim recommended adding a bit of black, and I think he's right. I didn't have black alcohol ink at the time of plaiding, but I have since added it to the repertoire so the next time I do it, it will have the bit of depth.
Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment