Monday 23 May 2011

Crafty Individuals Challenge May 2011



Here's my entry for the Crafty Individuals May challenge, "Free as a Bird". I used this wonderful bird stamp from Crafty Individuals. It's so striking! I stamped it twice on two sheets of sprayed watercolour paper from my stash and embossed in black. I cut out some of the pieces from the blue version and adhered them to the orange piece. It's not technically orange, since I used terracotta and butterscotch to make it, with a bit of spiced marmalade/copper concoction. So while it turned out orange, it's really shades of rust and honey gold that combine to look orange. I prefer to think of it as sunset glow. And just like a sunset, this card requires heavy-duty sunglasses to gaze at it. Ha ha ha. I used my bleach brush to highlight the birds, and coloured back in using the opposite crayon (blue on gold, marmalade on blue). Ok, so this isn't the most stylish of all colour combinations, but sometimes you just need to go where the design takes you, and this is one of those times. I had a scrap of embossed paper handy, so that became the accent strip, and the background got stamped with a Crafty Individuals script stamp. The card base is a mustard fleck, which is in keeping with the colour scheme, but not an exact match. (An exact match would require a warning and a welder's mask for viewing.) The last few highlights were in the way of white and black enamel accents (Ranger). And with that, the challenge is finished, with moments to spare. The design team will pick their favourite, and the winner gets a CI stamp of their choice. In the likely event that this isn't chosen, I may award myself an equivalent consolation prize.

Thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

  1. I don't know much about stamping, but this looks so wonderfully artistic to me. I like the color combination. At least in your picture, it doesn't come off as overly bright at all. I can't decide if it has a fall feel or not, but it definitely succeeds. Good luck in the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a striking card.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  3. your card is so lovely...love the stamps as well

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely Karen - great strong colours. Thanks so much for entering the challenge. Jean

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card! love the colours...
    Thanks for playing with us
    isa

    ReplyDelete