Saturday 18 August 2012

Great Vacation and a Quilted Table Runner

Hello!  Sorry to be away so long, but we were on vacation.  We went out to Alberta to visit my family for a few weeks.  It was lovely.  Great weather, lots to do, lots of time to relax.  I brought a few card kits with me to make up some stock for the craft show in November, and I got 36 cards done for that.  I'll try to scan those in and post them soon.

I also got hooked on quilting!  My mother's quilt guild had a show while we were there and it really inspired me.  I have always loved the quilts my mother makes, but my hatred of sewing has always deterred me from trying quilting.  It turns out that quilting is much more like making cards and scrapbook layouts than sewing.  Who knew!  I bought a table runner kit and my mother taught me to make that and I also picked up a quilt kit to work on as time permits.  Here's a picture of the table runner.  It uses the Divided by 3 pattern by Mountainpeek Creations.  It's on the ironing board, which is the small green floral print.  This runner is shades of brown, olive, soft blue and gold.  What fun!  (DH is a bit dismayed, he seems to be worried that I will get carried away.  You see my line about stamping has been that "at least I don't quilt".  Now I will have to have another expensive hobby that I don't do instead.  I think I will  not take up collecting antique tractors.  I do love antique tractors and my dad offered me his two.  So that is a legitimate hobby that I am not doing.  Think of the space and expense that would take!  I don't think hubby would want a back yard full of old tractors (though I can't see why not).  Still, to legitimate further my interest in this hobby, I should, I should build a tractor shed in the back yard, for restoring the engines, with lots of large tables and good lighting.  Then, while I am not restoring engines (because I am diligently not collecting tractors yet), I could use the tables for quilting.  The parts loft could be converted to a fabric storage loft, and the engine fluid nook could be converted to a kitchenette.  I'm sure hubby would be resourceful enough to install an intercom system so I could be notified when dinner is ready.  A bridge too far?  Maybe....)

Today I popped out to drop off my sewing machine for a tune-up and to get  a cutting mat and rotary cutter.  I will be all set to work on the two projects I have next in the queue, Stepping Stones by Judy Niemeyer, and another one that uses fat quarters that my mother had in her sharing pile.  What's really next is to clean up a portion of my stamp table to make room for the cutting mat and sewing machine.  We'll have to do a bit of rejigging of things in the basement.  My craft room is set up for stamping, not sewing, but it will have to do double-duty now, so I will need to do some editing and re-arranging.  However, right at this moment, I need to give the children lunch then take them out to get school supplies (fingers crossed that the school supply list from the end of school in June is where I think it is....I know I put it in a safe place.....somewhere......).  After that, do some unpacking and tidying then I can get back to the craft space with a clear conscience!



2 comments:

  1. Great read Karen. Boy oh boy do I know where you're coming from. There's a lot more out there waiting to grab you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol poor hubby...soon he will be having to wear quilted underwear no doubt lol

    LOVE your runner. You're a genius!

    ReplyDelete