Thursday 3 June 2010

Zombie Thursday




What a great day today - I took the day off work and spent it at Heather's Stamping Haven for Krista Schneider's amazing workshops. Today we did two classes on Copic markers and one class on Bruynzeel pencil crayons. I learned so much and such a good time. What a wonderful bunch of ladies to spend the day with!

In one of the Copic classes, we were colouring Magnolias and Krista had a handout with some tips for adding faces for those of us who feel those little cuties need a facial expression. Conversation could tend to get a little silly (who me???) and one thing led to another and the next thing we knew, Krista was giving us instructions for a zombie Magnolia. I couldn't resist, not even a little bit. Here's my zombie! And I have to say that I am delighted to now have an "out" for all my cards where I mess up the colouring - I will zombify them. (Won't dwell on dearth of zombie-loving recipients.....) I love her greenish pallor

Having discovered Krista's pash for zombies, I thought it would be a hoot to make her a zombie thank you card with one of her stamps (the bunny from the Easter cube, Sunshine Designs).

I think zombie cards are a bit like collage - way more fun to make than to look at! (And I am definitely the sort of stamper that gravitates to projects that are supposed to be smudged and grubby.....) This card is all about the grunge and the distressing and the creepy crawlies. I stamped the bunny in Memento black and coloured it with Bruynzeel pencil crayons, blending with odorless mineral spirits. I added in some signature zombie features like the patch and the stitches, flies and stink lines. The main card base is some tsumugi paper in soft green, with strips of torn linen paper for accent (I was going for a mummy-bandage effect). I distressed them with some Old Paper, Antique Linen and Peeled Paint distress ink too) and glued them down with some very nice Italian glue that smells of almonds. What a treat! (I got it at Stamping Bella and it's in a tin with a tiny brush.) The accent panel is Soft Suede (Stampin' Up), embossed with the diamond pattern Cuttlebug folder. I wished I had one of Tim's new folders for this, but I don't (yet!). The "thank you" is an Impression Obsession stamp that my mother gave me years ago. I stamped it with Versafine ink (Olympia Green) and drew patch stitches around the edges of it. I finished off the card with some zombie doodling using my Copic Multiliner - creepy crawlies, a worm, patches, and a millipede (could only bring myself to draw one - those things freak me out!).

So there you have it - a totally unconventional thank you card, but tailor-made for the recipient. I have a feeling she's going to like it.
Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. She absolutely loved it. (So did I!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen! Thanks for leaving such a nice comment on my card (mermaid Tilda) on SCS. So I tracked your blog down and what a hoot!!! Love the Maggies, but this is so funny! Great job on your Zombie's, I'll have to keep that in mind! My kids (grown adults) would love these I'm sure!!!

    ReplyDelete