Friday 12 March 2010

Birthday Bunny



Don't you just love it when an idea pans out!!! It's my niece's 7th (!) birthday this weekend and she is having an Easter-themed birthday party. I was fresh out of Easter-themed birthday cards so it's a good thing I have a few stamps and some old paper lying around and I could make one. lol!

I browsed through those "few" stamps waiting for inspiration to strike. When my eyes lit upon this bunny in the Sunshine Designs Spring (Easter?) cube, I thought it would be just the ticket if I could party him up a little bit. I knew I had at least one party hat stamp around, and a few pages later in my cling stamp binder, I found my birthday cube images, complete with party hat.

I quailed for a moment or two, dithering about how to implement this master plan (I won't scan in the initial efforts, with flying hats and wonky bunnies and I won't tell you how many masks I cut - I always forget which one is the mask and which is the masked...). Anyway, I decided the easiest thing would be to cut them both out and fiddle with them manually. Less elegant, but it worked in the end. I wanted one ear to come out of the hat, but that particular feat required more advance planning and fiddling than I was willing to do. I think I should have done all the fiddling and THEN coloured it. But I am not a planful stamper. My projects just unfold. (insert evil grin here!) (I wonder how many subscriptions that particular indulgence will cost me......)

I'm not happy that the bunny is too high here, but it took a long time to colour and cut and I just couldn't bring myself to do it all over again. (Repeat to self: card is for a 7 year old! But then self repeats back to me that this 7 year old is an exceptional artist with her father's eye for exactitude and it's probably going to bother her that the bunny is too high. Repeat to self: it's time for her to learn that nothing in life is perfect - harsh for 7, but true. And she'll learn that her auntie loves her enough to part with pompom ribbon AND PTI buttons AND my favourite Lemonade paper!)

Anyway, back to the card. I coloured things in with my prismacolor pencils and blended with odorless mineral spirits. I accented the eyes with black gel pen (Sakura) and the hat with lime green stickles. I can't believe I cut out that pompom and the fringe on the hat. I am not at all a detail cutter. I must really love that kid! (I do!)

I thought it would be the perfect time to snip into my pompom ribbon, originally bought for vaguely snowy accent purposes, but it also seemed to suit a bunny (I think it's like a little row of fuzzy bunny tails). The buttons are from my PTI mixed jar, accented with some crochet cotton. The card base is Memory Box in Key Lime and I have matching envelopes (so yummy! Thanks Mum!!!) The background paper is BasicGrey, Lemonade and I pinked the middle strip - so cute! That's pretty much sums up this little effort. Cute and cuter!

I'm off to watch some Mad Men with DH. We are totally hooked on those chain smoking booze bags. I can't decide if I'm aghast or envious of a time when you could have decanters of whiskey or a bottle of vodka on your desk. I have a very enviro-friendly stainless steel water bottle and at least one travel coffee mug, depending on how many I've forgotten at work. Not the bottle of gin in sight. (Or out of sight either, just to be crystal clear.)

Happy stamping!

No comments:

Post a Comment