Saturday 26 January 2008

Card Tin


Sorry I didn't post yesterday. I didn't get time to stamp, but I did get to go out to a crop and got quite a few layouts done while having a hoot with the other ladies.
I made this tin for my sister-in-law for Christmas since she wanted somewhere to keep her cards before she sends them. She also asked for some handmade cards, so I put a bunch of cards from my stash inside (I even managed to part with nice ones LOL!).


This tin was quite easy to do, and I've only made these a couple of times before. This was my first one using Mod Podge to stick down the paper. I started with a tin which my friend gave me (thanks again!). I used several coordinating papers from the SU's retired Recollections pack and drew my colours from there (bravo burgundy, cranberry crisp and chocolate chip).


To apply the paper, I put a thin coat of Mod Podge directly on the tin, and then another thin coat over the paper. Many thin coats gives a better finish than fewer thick coats. For the tricky bits around the latch and handles I used a custom acrylic pattern that I got from The Cardladies. They have patterns for several styles of Provo Craft tins. Before I sealed it, I sponged a bit of chocolate chip, cranberry crisp and bravo burgundy ink around here and there to "age" it a bit in spots. The paper was similarly patterned in places, but in some places was cut off to fit on the tin, so I just replaced it for a more even look.


I added some ribbon embellishment, which I stuck down with Sticky Strip, and also stamped a panel saying "CARDS" so she doesn't try to put anything else in the tin. Since I had broken the hoarding seal by parting with my beloved Recollections paper, and my favourite cards (well some of them anyway), I was able to go all out and part with ribbon from my pack of Flirty Ribbon Originals *and* a hatpin and beads from my Pretties kit. It actually feels great to use these things and it's actually way more fun than hoarding it. And I haven't used it all up so there's still some around to gaze lovingly at whenever I wish to. I really love the Pretties kit with all the pearls and rhinestones and beads. I have a bit of a New Year's Resolution to use it this year. Now that's the kind of resolution that's going to be fun to stick to!
Anyway, back to the embellies. I finished it off with some prima flowers accented with some Liquid Pearls. I see that I forgot to do pearls on one of the flowers so I will need to bring my Liquid Pearls next time I visit my SIL or I will be haunted by the spectre of unfinished primas... Isn't that every stamper's nightmare?


My SIL really liked this on Christmas morning and was quite surprised because when she asked for a box for her cards, she was picturing something in the vein of a photobox from M's.


Thanks for stopping by!


Supplies Stamps: Letterpress Alphabet - Stampin' Up!; Ink: chocolate chip pigment ink, cranberry crisp and bravo burgundy dye ink; Paper: Recollections, very vanilla, chocolate chip - Stampin' Up!, Accessories: provo craft lunch tin, acrylic pattern, mod podge, sponge brush, burgundy grosgrain ribbon, Flirty Ribbon Originals and Pretties Kit - Stampin Up!, Liquid Pearls - Ranger, Prima flowers

No comments:

Post a Comment