Wednesday 27 April 2016

High school chemistry meets stamp room

Hello!  We have a new scanner and I am still working out the kinks of uploading and editing.  This was done in the Paint application, so very basic editing capabilities. I think I managed to save a lot of white space along with the picture. My apologies for the crookedness. My old editing software had a straightening function, which this one doesn't.

A friend of mine asked for some custom thank you cards, including one for a techie sort of fellow. I don't have any techie stamps, so I went with a science theme instead.  I figured that a techie person would have taken at least some science courses. Just like crafty people tend to like lots of different crafts. Also, I have been watching a lot of Big Bang Theory, and if Sheldon & Co are anything to go by, people like that appreciate any science-related effort at all from muggles.

So, here we have it.  I started by swiping some Izink pigment ink on a piece of marl paper using a baby wipe (colours: cactus, bamboo, turquoise, iris, topaz). Then, I used a bubbly Dylusions stencil to rub in some different shades of gelatos for my molecules.  Once I had a pleasing arrangement of little happy atoms, I connected them using a ruler (!) and the writing tip of a beige Tombow marker.  I kept adding lines and atoms until it looked nice and moleculey.  Next, I stamped the periodic table (Indigo Blu) with Versafine Onyx Black ink and added some framing lines with a black pen and ruler.  I adhered the panel to black linen, and then to a teal card base, which I edged in Tide Pool shadow ink (Hero Arts). For the sentiment, I stamped the same image on white paper and cut out the various letters. Unfortunately, no one has decided to abbreviate any elements with just the letter A.  There are lots of A-somethings, so I picked one and painted over the extra letter with opaque white Copic ink.  I added some other splotches of the white on the other letters to make it look more grungy, and less obvious.  I guess "cooking my results" like that will prohibit this effort from successful peer review, but it could never be successfully replicated either.  It will have to be a one-time experiment!  I found some great dotted scrapbook paper in my stash, a bit grungy with different coloured circles of different sizes. It made the perfect envelope!

I hope this techie person likes it!  I am pleased with the result and can see myself enjoying using this periodic table stamp from time to time.  It brings back memories of high school and Mr Taylor, my high school chemistry teacher.  I can see that classroom perfectly in my mind's eye, with the green chalkboards on two walls, the rows of lab benches at the back, the fume cupboard and sinks, and the bunsen burners and the smells of all the different things we'd make.  I did enjoy chemistry quite a bit.
How about you?  Any fond memories of high school?

No comments:

Post a Comment